A delicious bowl of seafood chowder right in the middle of summer. Just close your eyes and imagine eating your chowder by the sea. Summer in Ireland. (If you don’t have time to cook this recipe, try one of Kinsale Gourmet’s delicious hand-prepared dishes for your dinner this evening available in all major supermarkets in the frozen section)
10 medium potatoes washed, peeled and cut into wedges.
750ml Avonmore milk
2 medium carrots, chopped in rings
400g of a mix of salmon, white fish and undyed smoked haddock cut in 1 inch cubes.
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 knob of butter
1 teaspoon sea salt or mix of salt and duileasc
2 teaspoons of vegetable stock powder
3 tablespoons Kinsale Gourmet duileasc or smoked duileasc dried and chopped finely
100ml Avonmoresingle cream
Handful of O’Hanlon’s chopped parsley
200g of cooked prawns; thawed and well drained if using frozen (optional)
- Boil ⅓ of the potatoes in a saucepan for 15-20 minutes or until tender, drain and set aside. These will be used to thicken the soup.
- Put milk into a saucepan, place over moderate heat and bring to just under the boil. Add the remaining potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes. Add carrots and the salmon and white fish and simmer for further 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a pan over medium heat and fry the onion and garlic until soft, not coloured. Set aside.
- Add about 6 tablespoons of the heated milk to the cooked potatoes that had been put aside. Add the sea salt or duileasc and salt mix and vegetable stock and blend with a hand blender to a smooth, creamy consistency. Add this to the saucepan and stir gently to thicken the soup.
- Add the prawns if using, the duileasc and the onions and garlic to the soup. Allow flavours to infuse over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add the cream and parsley. Stir gently and return to heat and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve and enjoy!Recipe supplied by Kinsale Gourmet.http://www.kinsalegourmet.ie/products/seadfood-pie/Meals available nationwide in SuperValu, Tesco,Dunnes Stores, Spar, Eurospar & Independent Stores *Select stores only*