Pancakes are just the thing for a breakfast treat on a lazy Sunday morning (or afternoon) You can always prepare the pancakes in advance, if you’re not really a morning person!
- 450g (1 lb) plain white flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (bread soda)
- Large pinch of salt
- 25 – 50g (1 – 2oz) sugar
- 1 egg
- 600ml (1 pint) buttermilk
- Sieve the flour and mix in the rest of the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and enough buttermilk to make a batter of dropping consistency (usually all the buttermilk is needed).
- Drop one large tablespoon into a hot non-stick pan and cook for 1 – 2 minutes on one side before turning over, the pancakes are ready to turn when the bubbles burst. Flip over gently and cook until golden on the other side.
- Serve the hot pancakes with your favourite Folláin Jam and fresh whipped cream.
Or, if you prefer, you could serve the hot pancakes with your favourite Folláin Marmalade and sour cream.